Have you ever encountered the error message: There is a problem with this drive? Scan the drive now and fix it? When you plug in a removable device to your computer running Windows, such an error may occur, and computer may inform you that you there’s a problem with this drive and you need to scan it & fix it. So, this message advises you to scan the disk and fix it as the system suggests.
There are two possible situations after the scan is complete: 1) no error will be found after the scan; 2) Yet, Windows will advise you to repair the drive by offering an error checking window, on which you can click to Repair drive easily.
At this point, what if Windows was unable to repair the drive? How are you going to deal with such a terrible situation? The advice is recovering data at once when Windows can’t repair this drive. Then, try some methods to fix the issue properly.
Recover Data Firstly When Window Can’t Repair the Drive
Two main reasons for USB Drive Data Recovery are:
It’s very likely that there will be some important data lost during the scan and repair process.
In order to fix the Window can’t repair this drive issue, you need to accomplish many operations which can easily lead to data loss.
Steps of the USB Device Recovery:
Step1: Most USB device data loss issues can be solved by using a professional USB flash drive data recovery software. You can download such program and install it on your PC to begin scanning the USB device and recover data. Try MiniTool power data recovery for Windows that supports scanning of large capacity USB drives and traces inaccessible or formatted files with their attributes and size intact.
Step 2: install the Free edition by double clicking on the setup application. Then, launch it to see the following window.
Step 3: this loading page will be appearing for a few seconds and then it shows the interface of the software. please select an option with the Removable Disk Drive. It is used to display all the removable devices, such as USB flash drive, USB external hard drive, or SD card (here’s how to recover deleted files from USB).
Step 4: specify the USB drive that the Windows can’t repair. The click on the Scan button to start detecting files in it. Then, you’ll see the window show as following.
Step 5: once you have found the data that you need, you should add a mark into the square box in front of it. Then, when you have selected all the files you need, you should click on the Save button to choose a safe path for them. At last, click on the OK button to confirm the storage path.
When all files have been saved to the appointed place successfully, at this time, you can close the MiniTool power data recovery software and put an end to the recovery.
Fix Error: Windows Was Unable to Repair the Drive
Solution 1: Run Disk Check in Command Prompt
- Click Start.
- Type cmd at the Search program and files search box.
- Right-click on cmd.exe.
- Click Run as Administrator.
- Type in your Administrator password.
- When cmd.exe opens, type the command: chkdsk.
- Press (this command helps to locate the bad sectors on the target disk, analyze physical disk errors, and recover readable information; but you need to remember that the target disk must be locked).
- Wait for the check disk process to complete (if any problems are found, the system will fix them automatically).
Solution 2: Troubleshoot Hardware and Devices
To open and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:
- Click the Start button.
- Click on “Control Panel” to open.
- In the search box in the upper right corner of the Control Panel window, type “troubleshooter“. Click “Troubleshooting” when displayed.
- Under “Hardware and Sound“, click “Configure a device“. You may be prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. The “Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter” window will open.
- Select “Next” to run the troubleshooter.
- If any issues are found, you will be prompted to “Apply this fix“. This may occur numerous times depending on issues found.
- When finished, the items able to be fixed as well as any items that could not be fixed will be listed. You can click to “Explore additional options” to continue troubleshooting any issues with items not fixed.
That’s all I want to say about how to fix the Window can’t repair this drive/check program error. Of course, there are other possible fixes like running a diagnostic tool and a clean install of Windows. You may follow them step by step to try to solve the problem yourself. If still not sure what to do, seek a qualified assistance.