IFEC is an international student competition for innovation, conservation, and effective use of electrical energy, which is open to college and university student teams from recognized engineering programs in any location.
The competition is sponsored by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Power Electronics Society (PELS), Power & Energy Society (PES), Industry Application Society (IAS) and Power Sources Manufacturers Association (PSMA).
The goal of IFEC 2018 is to develop a high-efficiency high power density isolated bidirectional DC-DC converter for residential energy storage systems. Detailed specifications and requirements are listed in below.
- High-Efficiency and High Power Density Isolated Bidirctional DC-DC Converter for Residential Energy Storage Systems
- Low voltage side: Vlow(dc): 35~50V; Current ripple <3% @100%load (charging);
- High voltage side: Vhigh(dc): 400V; Voltage ripple <2% @100% load (discharging);
- Output power: Pout: 1kW
- Power density: >1.5 W/cm3
- Efficiency: (both charging and discharging modes) >96% @100% load; >94% @50% load; >92% @25% load;
Participation is on a proposal basis. Those colleges that are interested must submit a proposal to the topic chair before the proposal deadline. Each proposal will be judged by a distinguished panel of volunteer experts from academics and industry. Colleges with successful proposals will be notified and qualified for the rest of the competition. Deadline for each period will be posted on the IFEC website. The outstanding teams will be invited to a competition event in the summer of 2018.
There will be a Grand Prize of $10,000 and three additional awards granted at $5,000, $3000 and $1,000 each.
- Each university can support only one team.
- Each team should have at least 3 undergraduate student members. Up to two graduate students could participate in each team as graduate advisors.
Final Competition Location:
- Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
Deadlines and Proposal Submission Email Address:
- Proposal Deadline Oct. 15, 2017
- Please email the proposal to [email protected]
- Notification of Acceptance Dec. 15, 2017
- Workshop at APEC’2018 Mar. 4, 2018
- Notification of Finalist Apr. 15, 2018
- Final Competition July, 2018