Linux Mint 13 “Maya” users can now avail Cinnamon 2.0 goodness. Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) users will receive a major upgrade known as Update Pack 8, in January 2014.
Linux Mint 13(LM13) is a Long Term Support edition which is supported till April 2017. Cinnamon 2.0 was released with Linux Mint 16 “Petra” a while back.
LM13 users need to use the backports channel to get the update. The upgrade is not available by the “main” channel since it is meant to be opt-in. The backports channel is available for people who want latest features from the latest releases. Mate 1.6, MDM 1.4 and a bunch of mint specific utilities like mintwelcome are also available for upgrade via backports channel.
Some users have encountered problems after MDM 1.4 installation. Installation was hiccup free for me on my LM 13 desktop. Be warned though, your desktop setting will be rest after reboot.
Steps to enable backports are as follows :
1. Open the “Software Sources” tool from “Menu -> Preferences -> Software Sources”
2. Click on the “Backported packages (backports)” checkbox as illustrated in the picture below
3. Launch the “Update Manager” from “Menu->Administration->Update Manager”
4. Select all level 1, 2 and 3 updates
5. Click on “Install Updates”
Once you’re finished installing the updates, restart your computer and enjoy the Cinnamon 2.0 goodness.